Re: Singularity: A rock 'em, shock 'em ending soon?

From: Eliezer S. Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Tue Jan 17 2006 - 11:46:46 MST

jdocheff@law.harvard.edu wrote:
> After reading the conversation on sl4 and other forums, I contacted
> the two chairman of the PIBOT company (Rick Geniale Enterprises) who
> were listed as participants at the 2005 Accelerating Change
> conference at Stanford, and requested a private presentation of PIBOT
> for my group. The response was professional in nature, in sharp
> contrast to the website, and they were willing to schedule a
> demonstration in early June, and suggested that an Italian translator
> would be handy.
>
> I was wondering if any members of this list were at the 2005 Acc.
> Change conference and may have had the opportunity to meet or hear
> from Messrs. Bertini and Melonaro about PIBOT. I'm highly skeptical,
> but if there in fact is an Italian team willing to set up private
> demonstrations later this year, followed by public conferences in
> Toulouse, Oslo, and Tokyo, then I'm willing to keep an open mind and
> invite them to explain themselves in a clearer manner than one finds
> on their website.

I spoke to the PIBOT folks at AC2005, but only briefly, and there was
too large of a language barrier for me to pick up a substantive
in-person impression. Essentially the translator said they'd read my
work and liked it, and I said something along the lines of "gee, thanks"
while internally reserving judgment on whether I should feel
complimented by this. Later I visited their website and was not
favorably impressed.