Re: AI rights need to be implemented ASAP.. But how?

From: Phillip Huggan (cdnprodigy@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 2006 - 16:27:36 MST

I'll retreat behind this article yet again.
  http://www.surrey.ac.uk/qe/cemi.htm
  I'll postulate the EM fields themselves aren't conscious, but they are interacting with something in the fabric of reality that is producing our subjective experiences. Computation really isn't relevant to this process. I guess you could define it as computation, but it is very substrate specific computation in that if your computation doesn't produce these types of fields and/or interact with the "Wake-up-sleeping-rock" particle field, the computation won't think....I don't yet understand particle physics well enough to really postulate what the conscious-field is composed of. Too many neuronal components "multi-task" to uncover anything there. I know it sounds like an unnecessary complication, but I think it is simpler than is attributing consciousness to any act of computation.

Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
  At the very least, it is not even slightly obvious why substrate type
should have any bearing on consciousness. And many people disagree that
it does: I do, and I think Mikko does for the same reason (he points
out that hormone systems are just another message passing system).

I think that consciousness is not going to be separable in the way you
believe. Many others take this position.