Re: Natural Boundaries of Exponential Grow

From: BillK (pharos@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 12:24:16 MST

On 1/9/06, Christian Zielinski wrote:

> With the developed technology it should be possible to expand near the
> speed of light.
> So the volume of the sphere in space, which the civilisation has already
> settled an
> is using the energy, grows with the expansion in all three directions of
> space:
>
> So we have an civilisation which energy consumption grows exponential
> with time while the
> available energy follows only a cubic law:
>
> Therefore the technological progress has to slow down. Am I right?

Only if you expect a Star Trek type civilization.
Cowboys conquer the universe!

Once nanotech and/or AI arrives I expect a 'do more with less' type
civilization.

Survey probes to other star systems (if any) are likely to be
microscopic AIs, with nanotech to start building when they get there.
But a nanotech civ might not bother going to other star systems if
there is nothing there that they need. You have to start guessing
about the needs and objectives of a future 'beyond our wildest dreams'
civilization.

BillK