Re: Chimps may lack altruism

From: Olie Lamb (olie@vaporate.com)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 21:38:54 MST

Philip Sutton wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
>> Non-reciprocal altruism is so uncommon in humans as to be more easily
>> categorized *as a disorder (!!!??)* than some sort of higher, grand
> trait of
>> humanity that puts us on a moral pedestal above the non-human animals.
>
> A bit of evidence about rarity would be good. And why on earth
> classify it as a disorder??? Do you think the world would be a better
> place without non- reciprocal altruism? You're thesis (sic) is not
> even very well framed. Rarity of behaviours is not a good indicator
> of the fitness of the behaviour.

New additions to the next DSM:

Non Reciprocal Altruism Disorder (NRAD)
Patient exhibits the following symptoms, which have persisted for at
least 6 months to a degree that is maladaptive and inconsistent with
developmental level:
- Often exhibits generosity
- Often purchases gifts for others
- Often donates to charities
- Often exhibits helpful behaviours
In addition, the patient must meet the following criteria:
A. symptoms must be present in two or more settings (such as work and home)
B. the individual must show "clinically significant impairment" at work
or school or with other people
C. the individual must not suffer from another mental disorder that
could explain the symptoms

Humble Personality Syndrome (HPS):
- Patient exhibits non egomaniacal behaviours
- Continually refrains from narcissistic impulses
- Exhibits helpful behaviours without seeking popular acknowledgement
- Patient refuses to claim credit for other people's efforts

Politeness Disorder:
- Patient impulsively blurts out emotionally charged interjections such
as "please" and "thankyou"
- Often exhibits deference to others
- Often exhits respect for others
- Often uses strategies to avoid offence and confrontation
Politeness Disorder is commonly confused with Consideration Disorder,
but is distinguished by the nature of the interjections, and a
prevalence of deference behaviours over assistance behaviours.

Chronic Tolerance Syndrome (CTS):
Although all normal persons exhibit some limited tolerance behaviours,
CTS is evident when the patient acts with tolerance towards others when
a non-maladjusted person would resort to name calling and violence.

Caritamania:
- Patient forms deep and meaningful relationships
- Exhibits irrational loyalty towards projected targets of caritas
- Exhibits deep affection for sexual partners even in absence of sexual
contact

When the DSM comes out for AIs, will we have listings for "Friendliness
disorders"?

===

The whole "disorder" thing is kinda funny. Apart from the fact that I
have adjusted and make allowances for my inattention behaviours, I'd be
a poster boy for ADD (not ADHD). Strangely enough, I was never
diagnosed as a kiddie as ADD because I was fairly academically
succesful. Nowadays, they'd use the term "gifted and talented". I've
been reading my partner's research on G&T kids (she's a primary
teacher), and it's amazing how much crossover there is between gifted
and ADD-except that one type shows "potential" and the other's
"infuriating". I could babble more, but it's hardly SL4 relevant.

--Olie