Re: Recipe for Destruction - Joy/Kurzweil NYTimes Op-Ed

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 18:20:33 MDT

On 10/17/05, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> I love freedom of information, but unfortunately I am not sure Ray is
> wrong.

Agreed; I think he's right.

The question is, though, if some bad guys wanted to get access to a
> "restricted" genome, how hard would it really be for them to do so? Security
> leaks seem pretty common even regarding nuclear weapons. I'm not sure
> imposing restrictions would do that much good. But I suspect they would do
> more good than harm.

Remember the principle of defense in depth. The more barriers you can put in
your enemies' way, the safer you are, even if no one barrier is perfect. You
don't see companies like McAfee casually publishing the code to computer
viruses on the Internet, and that's for things that are minor nuisances, not
deadly dangers.

- Russell