Re: Is complex emergence necessary for intelligence under limited resources?

From: Olie Lamb (olie@vaporate.com)
Date: Mon Sep 19 2005 - 18:58:36 MDT

OK, clarification time... reducto!

- Complicated is nothing like random - I'm sure you can all think of
simple deterministic number sequences, and contrast them with
complicated sequences that would at first seem random (unpredictable),
but are purely deterministic.

- Complex systems arise from interaction of the parts. Although
phenomena like periodic beats, moire fringes and the like aren't
strictly Complex (just complex), they make very good ilustrations/
analogies of Complex systems. You can't predict moire patterns from
knowing about only one of the contributing patterns.

- (Complex systems involve not only multiple variables, they involve
feedback-forming interactions. No point to that comment.)

- The end result of Complex systems can be simple (Galaxies make nice
spiral shapes) or complicated. See above comments on complicated stuff
and predictability.

- Complex systems can be purely deterministic

- Complex is nothing like random

- I have yet to see "emergence" in the Complex sense defined as
anything other than the end result of Complex systems.

===

"unpredictable" is one of those "impossible" words that gets... uh...
injudiciously used. Just because something is hard to predict, doesn't
make it unpredictable.

A leg bone does not have the characteristics of walking. Ergo, from one
leg bone, one can't predict how an animal will walk... except by knowing
how a lot of animals with similar legbones walk, and by comparing the
variations.

Predictions are funny...