Re: Logics at multiple levels of abstraction

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 13 2005 - 09:38:41 MDT

--- Chris Capel <pdf23ds@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/12/05, Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:
> > Lastly, you say: "However, I suggest that in an AGI system,
> logical
> > reasoning may exist BOTH as a low-level wired-in subsystem AND as a
> > high-level emergent phenomenon, and that these two aspects of logic
> in
> > the AGI system may be coordinated closely together." If it really
> did
> > that, it would (as I understand it) be quite a surprise (to put it
> > mildly) ... CAS systems do not as a rule show that kind of weird
> > reflection, as I said in my earlier posts.
>
> I'm not sure I can reconcile these two opinions. If you think it's
> feasible to use some sort of logical reasoning, (whether rational
> probability analysis or something else,) as part of the basic
> substrate of a generally intelligent system, and given that any
> successful AI project would necessarily result with a system that
> *does* exhibit logical reasoning at a high level, how could you find
> it unlikely that a system would combine both features? I probably
> misunderstand you.

I don't think (speaking for Richard :) he's objecting to the two
being in one system. I think he's objecting to the notion that
features of the lower-level logic will be mirrored in the higher-level
logic. I agree; regarding an interaction like that:

- it would be unlikely to appear by chance
- if it did appear by chance, it would suggest
  that you hadn't separated levels in your design properly
- if you designed it in, it would make your design a rotten
  design from an engineering standpoint.

- Phil Goetz

Yahoo! for Good