Complex computer programs

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Sep 12 2005 - 09:41:09 MDT

--- Richard Loosemore <rpwl@lightlink.com> wrote:

> Phil Goetz wrote:
> > --- Phil Goetz <philgoetz@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Not that I can think of any good examples of heterogenous
> >>complex systems.
> >
> > Rule-based systems. Computer programs in general.
>
> Depends, and No.
>
> Computer programs are almost always not Complex (capital C).

I disagree. I've written many massively-multithreaded agent-based
systems. For instance, the airspace simulator I wrote ran about
20,000 agents, each running on its own virtual thread, and each
capable of interfering with any other agent.

Also, much complex systems work has been done using computer
simulations! If those simulations aren't complex, then...

- Phil

Yahoo! for Good