Re: Parallel computing, AGI, assignment of credit [was RE: Introduction]

From: Stephen Reed (reed@cyc.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 09:01:28 MDT

On Fri, 9 Sep 2005, Ben Goertzel wrote:
> ... I should add that it would not be hard at all to modify
> the Novamente architecture for an MIMD substrate. This would involve
> many changes but most of them would be for the better. In fact we've had
> to bend over backward to make the Novamente math and concepts match up
> with the distributed-computing-over-a-small-network-of-von-Neumann-machines
> hardware we have available. The math and concepts would mostly match up
> more simply with an MIMD parallel infrastructure. Although an ideal
> practical hardware infrastructure would have a mixture, with a large MIMD
> component as well as a very powerful traditional serial-computing
> component (because there are some parts of the design that don't
> parallelize as nicely as others).

Cycorp participates in a research effort whose scope includes parallel
computing. Our analysis shows that elements of Cyc's deductive inference
can operate in parallel, which should greatly improve Cyc's ability to
answer certain commonsense queries in a timely manner. Our sponsors
appear motivated to make Cyc a use-case for parallel processing in the
area of knowledge bases.

Cheers.
-Steve

My statements are my own opinions and in no way represent Cycorp or its
sponsors.

Stephen L. Reed                  phone:  512.342.4036
Cycorp, Suite 100                  fax:  512.342.4040
3721 Executive Center Drive      email:  reed@cyc.com
Austin, TX 78731                   web:  http://www.cyc.com
         download OpenCyc at http://www.opencyc.org