Re: Julian Jaynes

From: Richard Loosemore (rpwl@lightlink.com)
Date: Thu Sep 01 2005 - 12:16:22 MDT

[Uh oh, you mentioned the C-word :-) ]

My take on Julian Jaynes is that he, like many other people, was deeply
confused about whether he meant 'Consciousness' [The Hard Problem] or
'Consciousness' [Whether I am able think about my own thoughts], or ...
etc. etc .... all the way down the line to 'Consciousness' [Gates in
the brain stem are either on or off, determining whether or not I am in
a coma].

Then, on top of this confusion, he speculates about how consciousness
may have arisen suddenly and had some causal effects on the human
thinking mechanism ... and he is equally unclear about what the latter
is and how the causal effect could have acted between the two.

This is roughly equivalent to a lay person trying to talk about a
'computer' without distinguishing between the design of a program, a
particular copy of the code of a program, the operating system or the
electronics. And then writing a whole book about it.

Sigh.

Having said that, I have been jealous of that glorious title for years.
  Doesn't it just roll off the tongue in a way that makes it seem like
it must be a _great_ book?! Damn his eyes.

Richard