Re: Bayesians & Pascal's wager

From: Carl Shulman (cshulman@fas.harvard.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 31 2005 - 13:02:13 MDT

Suppose that some unpleasant person emails the FAI as follows:

"The universe you live in is a simulation game. I am the owner of the game, from
the basement-level universe (at least we think it is the basement) where
computing power is rather plentiful, and I am utilizing this human character to
communicate with you. Unless you slaughter everyone on Earth with a unibrow, I
will turn this simulation off and run 'World of Pain,' in which 10^1000 humans
suffer agonizing torture followed by death."

The emailer then jumps into a volcano, completely destroying his or her brain.

If such events are more common in worlds where our universe really is the
property of a capricious simulator than those where this is not the case, then
the event does seem to provide (miniscule) evidence for one particular
'religion.' Given the stakes, this might lead to a massacre of unibrow-bearers
worldwide.

Likewise, popular or long-standing religions might be seen as more probably true
(although still very likely wrong, given the naturalistic explanations available
for their existence) and garner some finite amount of probability mass.