Re: Retrenchment

From: Michael Wilson (mwdestinystar@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 17:55:55 MDT

Phil Goetz wrote:
> I thought it was a pretty good list, except that it
> left out control theory and signal processing.

I agree with you in principle, but these things look less
important than they used to. It's funny, once upon a time
I used to be in favour of explicitly specifying peripheral
complexity like that and leaving the core, important design
complexity to 'emergence'. These days I realise the importance
of getting the core complexity right and would rather that
the AGI self-generated the peripheral stuff. I agree that
familiarity with these and some other engineering areas help
with designing priors and debugging induction, but if you're
on a tight study time budget I wouldn't give them priority.

>> How about describing these 7th and 8th communities?
>> I thought it was a pretty good list, except that it
>> left out control theory and signal processing.
>
> Oh, and dynamic systems theory, as in the work of
> Scott Kelso, Esther Thalen, & Walter Freeman.

The only paper I can think of off hand that makes a
semi-reasonable case for dynamic systems theory as the
basis for AGI is 'Dynamics and Cognition' by Timothy van
Gelder. And he didn't have any good reasons why one would
/want/ to use that as a basis for AGI design, only some
vague arguments as to why it should be possible and how it
might be useful for analysing the brain.

> Perl! Perl, I say! Edited with VIM, on a VT100!

Fools! Clearly the one true way to implement an AGI is by
writing in Threaded Intercal with Teco!

 * Michael Wilson