Communities, project management, Luke Skywalker

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Aug 19 2005 - 10:19:11 MDT

Re. Eliezer & Richard's comments about needing people
who are members of all 6, 7, 8, or 9 communities -

That isn't how things are done. When NASA wanted to
put a man on the moon, they didn't say, "Hey, let's
find some people who understand propulsion, materials
science, rocketry, bioscience, astronomy, radio
communications, and computer science." They found
a bunch of people, each with expertise in some things,
and some people with the ability to manage those people
and get them to work together.

AI has too many lone wolves who are determined to do
things their way or no way. Everybody wants to be
Luke Skywalker - the Chosen One who succeeds where
entire empires have failed. I don't mean just those
on this list; I mean even the most highly-respected
and often-quoted AI researchers, whom I will not name
here because I might want to get a job from one of them
someday. Maybe AI will actually progress if we can
cure Skywalker Syndrome.

- Phil Goetz