Re: The return of the revenge of qualia, part VI.

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 18:53:29 MDT

On 7/27/05, Ben Goertzel <ben@goertzel.org> wrote:

> Thus, I think that as future science unfolds, even die-hard materialists
> will have to admit that qualia have at least the same sort of "reality" that
> electrons do.

A small point: I'll suggest you don't mean the same _sort_ of reality,
but rather something like the same _degree_? After all, electrons and
qualia are clearly different _sorts_ of things (from the viewpoint in
which electrons are real, qualia are emergent phenomena at a vastly
higher level of organization, like hurricanes and food chains; from
the viewpoint in which qualia are real, electrons are theoretical
constructs far removed from experience).

- Russell