Re: "Hostile" transhumans (Re: Magic means large search spaces)

From: Peter de Blanc (peter.deblanc@verizon.net)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 19:06:22 MDT

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 15:57 -0700, Phil Goetz wrote:
> That's not moral, merely selfish. I hope that posthumans
> will have better morals than humans. If you say that's a
> matter of perspective, it means that you don't believe in
> morality at all, and have no grounds to speak in a moral
> debate.

Morality, to me, is a scheme by which a group of agents agree to work
towards a world-state which is (somewhat) desirable to all of them,
rather than individually try to accomplish mutually-exclusive goals. So
morality is a higher-level concept than "goal system."

It sounds to me like you define morality as something else. Can you
please explain this term, and why it should be valued over humanity's
goals?