Re: hostile slightly enhanced humans

From: Martin Striz (mstriz@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 23 2005 - 05:01:43 MDT

On 7/23/05, pdugan <pdugan@vt.edu> wrote:
> Eliezer said:
>
> The brain is very
> >easy to disturb. It has a balance, it grows up with a balance, and it has an
> >even harder time repairing that balance after puberty. Humans are not
> >designed for radical modification. Everything in the brain is adapted to
> work
> >in the context of everything else in the brain working the way it does now.
>
> This is a very on point suggestion about the nature of human consciousness,
> especially after the nuerochemical rollercoster ride of puberty. I would argue
> that a human mind doesn't find true stability after puberty until they
> experience what better poets than I have called "love". Love is of course a
> subjective sensation brought on by oxytocin release,

Love is a literary invention of the Renaissance. What people call
love at different times is at least three separate emotions:
infatuation (phenethylamine), bonding (oxytocin) and lust
(testosterone). The way you "love" your mother (bonding) is different
from the way you "love" your girlfriend (infuation, probably lust),
but when people use the term interchangeably, they obfuscate rather
than elucidate their desires. Contemporary society's inability to
distinguish between these separate emotions is the cause of much
heartache.

Emotional stability is achieved in the early 20s following a drop in
hormone levels.

> I would conclude that the Friendliness of a strongly transhuman mind would
> benifit from the love of a good transwoman

Why would a transhuman care?

Martin