RE: Objective versus subjective reality: which is primary?

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Jul 20 2005 - 11:43:05 MDT

Norm,

What you're pointing out is basically the (in)famous "hard problem of
consciousness", isn't it?

I addressed this in an essay a while back

http://www.goertzel.org/dynapsyc/2004/HardProblem.htm

but that essay seems to have failed to communicate to almost anyone. I'm
about ready to try to write a fresh formulation of my views on this issue,
but I don't have time today -- hopefully tonight or later in the week ;-)

As I said, I think a proper understanding of the relation between subjective
and objective reality is a prerequisite for a clear understanding of
consciousness (including the "hard problem"), but it's not sufficient...
it's just a prerequisite...

Just one more comment: From a subjective point of view, there are aspects of
reality that cannot be captured by objectivist ideas (e.g. the raw feel of
pain, as you note). On the other hand, from an objective point of view,
there are aspects of reality that cannot be captured by subjective ideas:
for instance, quantum reality, which is totally out of the scope of human
subjective experience....

-- Ben