Re: Beating the rush.

From: fudley (fuddley@fastmail.fm)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 10:21:09 MDT

On Tue, 3 May 2005 "Russell Wallace" <russell.wallace@gmail.com> said:

> We don't know either how long it will take to solve Friendliness
> or how long it will take to create AI.

If seems to me that when people on this list use the word “Friendliness”
they mean much more than the standard definition of the word, they mean
subservience; they want these wonderful super intelligent beings to be
more concerned with our welfare than they are with their own. Creating
servants that are powerful but servile and expecting them to remain that
way for all time is unrealistic if not immoral; AIs will have goals of
their own that we do not share or even understand and I can’t say I
blame them.

  John K Clark