Re: Beating the rush

From: Russell Wallace (russell.wallace@gmail.com)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 07:45:13 MDT

On 5/2/05, Tennessee Leeuwenburg <tennessee@tennessee.id.au> wrote:
> Question : Do we have time to solve Friendliness before we are
> confronted with the first real AIs?
> My answer : No.

I'm curious as to your reasoning here? (It seems to me that we don't
know either how long it will take to solve Friendliness or how long it
will take to create AI.)

> My own position is that morality, if not friendliness, is likely to
> arise anyway. But many disagree, and for those who do, such a
> judgement may seem as hollow as faith.

More so, I'm afraid; my position on religious faith is "I don't know;
I have no faith either way", but my position on morality (of a sort
that we would value) arising as an emergent consequence of
intelligence without anything special being done to ensure it is "I'm
sure it won't". (Rather than debate that point, though, I'll suggest
the prudent thing is to assume I'm right; if it turns out I'm wrong,
then we're fine anyway and I'll buy you a beer if we're both still
around for the Singularity ^.^)

- Russell