RE: There is No Altruism

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 14:40:13 MST

I agree with Robin: altruism exists, though it's not terribly common.

There are limits to the power of natural-selection-based reasoning to
explain the structures, dynamics and behaviors in complex organisms.

Purely natural-selection-based reasoning leads one to the conclusion that
there should be no "true altruism", only apparent altruism based on obscured
self-interest...

But the evolution of complex forms involves self-organization as well as
natural-selection, and it would appear that in the case of human evolution,
self-organization has led to the creation of some "true altruism" alongside
the copious self-interest-masquerading-as-altruism...

-- Ben G