Re: There is No Altruism

From: Jef Allbright (jef@jefallbright.net)
Date: Wed Mar 23 2005 - 13:55:51 MST

David -

I think it is straightforward to demonstrate that there is true
altruistic behavior, but not, as you're pointing out, true altruistic
motivations.

Examples abound of people giving their time, their wealth, and even
their lives for others. There is clear evidence that this behavior can
be consciously motivated, but also exists deep within our evolved
programming. Some forms of altruistic behavior may be better described
as "enlightened self-interest" where a person acts in altruistic ways
out of a belief that this will help create a better world for all ,
including the actor, to live in. Some forms of altruistic behavior
arise from a deeper, unthinking emotional level, such as the parent who
runs into a burning house in a hopeless attempt to save a child.

In the long run, altruistic behavior, as a form of cooperation, provides
the kind of positive-sum benefits that enhance the survival of the
group, and indirectly benefit individuals.

Yes, the argument can be made that any altruistic behavior is motivated
at some level by self-interest. Does this diminish in any way the value
of altruism?

I would file this one along with the perennial debates on free-will,
qualia, and consciousness -- all based on arguments with insufficient
context.

- Jef
http://www.jefallbright.net/altruism