RE: Overconfidence and meta-rationality

From: spike (spike66@comcast.net)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 21:53:56 MST

> Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
> ...quite absurd to suppose that a lone five-year-old could face down full
adult
> intelligences and win...

Chess players get this if they start very young and have
talent. If a sharp 8 year old can spank all the adults he
knows, even when they get serious and really *try* to
beat him, the experience has a profound impact on the
mind of the child, do let me assure you. In my case, at
age 8 the only person I couldn't beat consistently
was my father.

This was all great fun until I was at the club one
evening and was spanked by the local elementary school
whiz.

spike