Re: AGI Prototying Project

From: Peter de Blanc (peter.deblanc@verizon.net)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 19:25:31 MST

> 1) X is Friendly,
> 2) X wishes to self-preserve,
> 3) X wishes to reproduce
>
> Its offspring must share the property of Friendliness in order for X not
> to have violated rule 2.

No. Friendliness is not the same thing as Not-Killing-My-Parent. There's a
large class of goal systems which will simply preserve a specified being;
there's a much smaller class of goal systems which will be Friendly.
Friendliness is a terribly suboptimal solution to the problem of preserving
the specified being, so I can't see any situation in which your proposed
architecture would produce a Friendly AI.

I think that natural selection in AIs is a really bad idea (if it were
workable, which it isn't anyway). Evolution has never selected for
Friendliness before (although it has selected for things like
reciprocation), so why do you think that it will in the future?