Re: Friendliness and social intelligence

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 11:09:01 MST

Also, now that I think of it, I often tried to get my
dog to notice something, such as a stick I had thrown,
or a newspaper to be fetched, by pointing at it,
and he NEVER looked at what I pointed to.
He would always just sniff my hand.

It is well known that domestication generally involves
decreasing, not increasing, the intelligence of an
animal, to make it more easily controlled. This is
well-established for dogs, and I have anecdotal
evidence that it is true for sheep and turkeys.
I wouldn't know about others.

Which leads me to reflect on what the results will be
of having politicians in charge of public education.
But I digress.

- Phil