Meta (Re: Ethics, IQ)

From: Phil Goetz (philgoetz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 16:54:57 MST

--- Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
wrote:

> For everyone involved in this argument and others
> recently: Please make an effort to understand what
> your opponents are trying to communicate. Even
> where
> I agree with one side or the other of some of the
> ongoing debates here, it's clear that you all spend
> much of your time talking past each other rather
> than discussing differences of substance.

I usually mean to discuss in a cooperative mode,
meaning that when I reply to a message, some of
my comments may be agreeing with it, some disagreeing,
some referring to comments made by other people,
and some may be digressive or exploratory.

This causes some confusion, because Americans are
trained to discuss in a competitive mode, and
assume that every statement in a reply must be
a rebuttal of something in the previous message.

- Phil