Re: Bad Bayesian - no biscuit!

From: maru (marudubshinki@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 22 2005 - 13:30:57 MST

But Eliezer, couldn't a rationalist explain fiction by the chain of
events that led to the production of the fiction? The fiction of, say,
L. Ron Hubbard would confuse me if I took it to be factual reporting or
good sci-fi, but I can explain it rationally by reflecting on Hubbard's
heavy drug use.
More clearly, I can explain my fictional self possesing a tentacle two
ways. One, I can say that a certain Yudkowsky, seeking to explain
something, asked me to envision a contra-factual situation. This does
not confuse me so long as I do not mix levels.
Or, I could say that the root user of our simulation-verse decided to
start screwing with me, possibly to engage in epistemologic or
rationality experiments.

~Maru
One more thing: I can explain webcomics as part of history:
specifically the part where publishing online became cheap enough for
amateurs, and a sufficiently large segment of the population acquired
the leisure necessary to acquire the skills neccesary for it to be a hobby.