Re: Acceptance of death

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 16:16:01 MST

--- Dani Eder <danielravennest@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What surprises me about cryonics is that no one
> has
> proposed storage in Antarctica, or some other
> really
> cold location. Right now, if your LN2 supply
> is
> disrupted, you will lose the patients when it
> evaporates. Down there, at least the frozen
> will
> remain frozen, so you will have longer to
> recover.
You know, I had the very same thought last night,
as well as the musing that high pressure or other
unexplored factors might improve the preservation
process. In other words, freeze 'em and sink 'em
in a mile under the ice, for instance. See this
link for how wrecks in the bottom of the Black
Sea have been preserved by water conditions.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/NATURE/11/02/ancient.shipwreck/

"Famed explorer Robert Ballard says he's still
numb after discovering an almost perfectly
preserved wreck of a ship that sank 1,500 years
ago in the Black Sea off the coast of Turkey.

The ship is about 1000 feet (300 meters) down in
water where there's no oxygen, a situation that's
fatal to the wood boring organisms that would
normally devour a wooden shipwreck. "
snip
"What we saw was absolutely astounding," said
nautical archaeologist Cheryl Ward. The ship's
mast is still standing and stanchions rest
nearby, held together with wooden pegs.

"No archaeologist has even been able to study
anything like this," she said. "We have never
been able to look at the deck of an ancient
ship."

Carbon dating of the ship's wood indicated it was
1,500 years old, dating from between 410 and 520
A.D."
Tom Buckner