Re: Wired

From: Damien Broderick (thespike@satx.rr.com)
Date: Tue Nov 23 2004 - 17:35:10 MST

At 09:47 PM 11/23/2004 +0000, BillK wrote:

>So for humans it is a life-threatening practice which evolution would
>tend to make humans strongly averse to.

Precisely. Which is what makes the *lack* of aversion of infants so
interesting, since in our society, at any rate, they're the ones most
likely to have the opportunity to indulge. Does it emerge gradually, with
exposure? (But in the wild, shit might be shed at opportunity, not remain
pressed up against the kid; and it might be neatly pelletized, like the
scat of rabbits, who knows? Well, I suppose coproanthropologists know.) Or
is it set by menu-exposure (so to ugh speak) to the prevailing standards,
as phonemes etc are?

Damien Broderick