Challenge Grant filled

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Mon Nov 08 2004 - 01:34:57 MST

>Forward the Singularity!

--
Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
http://intelligence.org/
Research Fellow, Singularity Institute for Artificial
Intelligence
Could you hurry up with the Singularity Eli?  I've had
it with pre-Singularity existence.
Seriously, I'm starting to get worried.  I'm not so
sure that the goods guys will win.  I'm no longer so
sure we're going to pull through.  Your appeal does
seem to have shocked some people out of their
complacency, which is good, but it is also depressing.
I feel the 'window of opportunity' for a successful
Singularity is closing. Goertzel, Voss and yourself
seem to be the only serious AGI projects but they
can't seem to muster sufficient funding or a sound
enough theoretical basis.
I feel my 'life force' starting to slip away (I'm 33
now - getting old).  Existential threats are starting
to pop up.  I fear we're not going to make it :-(
I'm not conconvinced that even the conceptual
fundamentals of FAI theory are yet understood, yet
alone the full fledged formal understaning.
Sing Inst seems to have the strongest theoretical
basis but there is a huge gap in your understanding:
Personhood!  You must grasp the nature of
'Personhood'.  Only then a Bayesian Jedi will you be
;)
But hurry, hurry!

=====
                                                    - Gen. John Stark