Re: Memes and War [was: Tomorrow is a new day]

From: Thomas Buckner (tcbevolver@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 14:29:30 MST

--- Keith Henson <hkhenson@rogers.com> wrote:

> >Let us be vigilant, but not paranoid.
>
> As anyone who knows much about my history will
> tell you that my problem has
> always been not being paranoid *enough.*

Paranoia is not fun, but it is useful in
survival. I refer you to the example of African
megafauna (animals larger than, say, a goat).
These are (generally) the 'wildest' and most
dangerous megafauna in the world, sub-Saharan
Africa being the last place where most large
animals have resisted the destruction that came
so quickly to the megafauna of other continents.
For contrasts, Australia had a wide array of
equivalent marsupial megafauna, including
kangaroos and wombats the size of rhinos. They
disappeared quickly after about 60k years ago,
and NOT because 'marsupials are stupid.'

African animals are very suspicious and hostile
toward humans precisely because humans evolved
there. The trusting ones got weeded out by spears
a couple million years ago.
Tom Buckner