RE: JOIN: Ralph's Intro

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 20:49:20 MDT

The oldest Singularitarian I know is Val Turchin, who's pushing 80 now, and
has been into Singularityish ideas since the 1950's or maybe even earlier
(see e.g. his excellent transhumanist book "The Phenomenon of Science" from
the 1960's)...

As for me, I've been into this stuff since I was 9 or 10, in the mid-1970's.
I came to Singularityish ideas via trying to fuse, in my youthful brain,
classic sci-fi concepts with Buddhism and Ouspenskyan weirdness. I really
never thought so many other people would be into this sort of whacky shit --
it's eternally amusing to me to see a whole *mailing list* of people
interested in such things!! For quite a long time I thought I was the only
one...

-- Ben G