RE: Why I donate to the SIAI

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri Oct 22 2004 - 13:18:07 MDT

Eli,

Most people just don't take anything distant from their everyday life very
seriously. Even if you present them with a logical train of reasoning
leading from here to the Singularity, they don't trust it because they don't
trust logical reasoning nearly as much as the common sense of everyday life
experience.

Religion is the one major case of people taking things distant from their
everyday life seriously ... but this is arguably because religion gives
people a lot of psychological comfort, and helps build comforting social
structures.

There is nothing about the Singularity that's emotionally comforting enough
to cause people to overcome their bias against paying attention to things
outside the scope of their everyday lives.... Rather, it's more emotionally
disturbing than comforting to most people -- so there's a bias in favor of
ignoring it in most peoples' minds...

-- Ben G