Re: The Future of Human Evolution

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 17:17:27 MDT

At 11:01 AM 29/09/04 -0700, Thomas Buckner <tcbevolver@yahoo.com> wrote:

>--- Randall Randall <randall@randallsquared.com>
>wrote:
>
> > But UFAIs created light years away are not huge
> > threats, since
> > they need to know you're there, and that
> > information would seem
> > scarce.
>
>This may be the real answer to the famous
>question "Where are they?" ETs, I mean. Why does
>SETI have so much trouble finding any radio
>signals from other civs?
>Possibility: we're really the first.

Given the extremely unfriendly planetary systems we have seen so far, this
looks increasingly likely.

>Possibility: civs self-destruct always, soon
>after transmissions start.

If they do, then UFAI of the paper clip optimizing kind does not seem to be
their fate. Either that, or you have to make the case that *none* of the
paper clip UFAIs sees material to convert beyond the local star system.

Re if nanotech comes first, I suppose if UFAI were seen as a big enough
threat, that could be subject to blue goo monitoring.

Perhaps Eliezer might comment?

Keith Henson