Re: Patented Ethical AI

From: Martin Striz (metastriz@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 2004 - 08:09:45 MDT

--- extropy@paradise.net.nz wrote:
> For those who don't have the time or inclination to
> peruse slashdot, something of interest just popped up.
>
> We may as well forget about discussing friendly AI,
> someone has gone and patented "The Ten Ethical Laws
> of Robotics". So no ethics without paying royalties ok?
>
> http://www.ethicalvalues.com/
>
> I doubt it could/will be enforced though.

Don't you sometimes just hate intellectual property laws? Some of my work
involves bioinformatics/genomics, and we've had a big problem with private
companies patenting genome sequences. I don't know if that will be an issue
now that private databases of the human genome exist, but I couldn't imagine
having to pay my grant money (your tax money) to Craig Venter for the
discoveries that I make. A propos information technology: didn't British
Telecom patent the hyperlink in 1975 but it couldn't enforce the patent? For a
technology that is at best 30-50 years away, and may not look anything like
their proposal, this probably isn't an issue.

Martin Striz