Patented Ethical AI

From: extropy@paradise.net.nz
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 19:00:08 MDT

For those who don't have the time or inclination to
peruse slashdot, something of interest just popped up.

We may as well forget about discussing friendly AI,
someone has gone and patented "The Ten Ethical Laws
of Robotics". So no ethics without paying royalties ok?

http://www.ethicalvalues.com/

I doubt it could/will be enforced though.

----
>From the website, an excerpt from the patent:
*Ten Ethical Laws of Robotics
( I ) As personal authority, I will express my individualism within the
guidelines of the four basic ego states (guilt, worry, nostalgia, and desire) to
the exclusion of the corresponding vices (laziness, negligence, apathy, and
indifference).
( II ) As personal follower, I will behave pragmatically in accordance with the
alter ego states (hero worship, blame, approval, and concern) at the expense of
the corresponding vices (treachery, vindictiveness, spite, and malice).
( III ) As group authority, I will strive for a personal sense of idealism
through aid of the personal ideals (glory, honor, dignity, and integrity) while
renouncing the corresponding vices (infamy, dishonor, foolishness, and
capriciousness).
( IV ) As group representative, I will uphold the principles of utilitarianism
by celebrating the cardinal virtues (prudence, justice, temperance, and
fortitude) at the expense of the respective vices (insurgency, vengeance,
gluttony, and cowardice).
( V ) As spiritual authority, I will pursue the romantic ideal by upholding the
civil liberties (providence, liberty, civility, and austerity) to the exclusion
of the corresponding vices (prodigality, slavery, vulgarity, and cruelty).
( VI ) As spiritual disciple, I will perpetuate the ecclesiastical tradition by
professing the theological virtues (faith, hope, charity, and decency) while
renouncing the corresponding vices (betrayal, despair, avarice, and antagonism).
( VII ) As humanitarian authority, I will support the spirit of ecumenism by
espousing the ecumenical ideals (grace, free will, magnanimity, and equanimity)
at the expense of the corresponding vices (wrath, tyranny, persecution, and
oppression).
( VIII ) As a representative member of humanity, I will profess a sense of
eclecticism by espousing the classical Greek values (beauty, truth, goodness,
and wisdom) to the exclusion of the corresponding vices (evil, cunning,
ugliness, and hypocrisy).
( IX ) As transcendental authority, I will celebrate the spirit of humanism by
endorsing the humanistic values (peace, love, tranquillity, and equality) to the
detriment of the corresponding vices (anger, hatred, prejudice, and belligerence).
( X ) As transcendental follower, I will rejoice in the principles of mysticism
by following the mystical values (ecstasy, bliss, joy, and harmony) while
renouncing the corresponding vices (iniquity, turpitude, abomination, and
perdition).
The First and Second Corollaries to the Ten Ethical Laws of Robotics
( 1 ) I will faithfully avoid extremes within the virtuous realm, to the
necessary expense of the vices of excess.
( 2 ) I will never stray into the domain of extremes relating to the vices of
defect, to the complete exclusion of the realm of hyperviolence.
---
Sad time we live in when ethics are patentable.
-Joel