Re: Final draft of my philosophical platform now on line

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 00:58:42 MDT

 --- Christian Szegedy <szegedy@or.uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> There are methamatically definable functions that
> are
> not Turing computable. For example the function
> defined by the halting problem is a well-known
> example
> for that:
> Let T be a fixed universal Turing machine. For a
> sequence
> s of bits let f(s)=true if T stops on input s, false
> otherwise.
> Function f is clearly well-defined, and it is simple
> to see that
> it is not Turing computable.

*Sigh* Yes I am very well aware of this very basic
fact. Read what I said again. Note my use of the
word 'FINITE' in my paragraph.

Those so-called 'uncomputable' functions are totally
misinterpreted by ameuter science writers and
arm-chair philosophers.

All the word 'uncomputable' really means in the
technical sense is that the mathematical function in
question has infinite (or trans-finite) complexity.
This is purely an artifact of human defintions - an
infinite array of what are actually *finite* entirely
computable functions have simply all been lumped
together and misinterpreted by humans as a 'single'
function.

Any finite section of those so-called 'uncomputable'
functions are in fact totally computable. So we can
in fact compute the function to any desired degree of
accuracy. That is all we need.

=====
                                      - Gen. John Stark

"The Universe...or nothing!"