Re: Geddes's 'Moral Perturbation Theory'

From: Metaqualia (metaqualia@mynichi.com)
Date: Sat Jun 19 2004 - 10:57:38 MDT

> > http://www.paradise-engineering.com/hedab.htm
>
> Very nice. A lot of talk about spirituality and mysticism and drug-induced
> highs... If you think that paradise for the sake of paradise is a noble

Did you actually read it? No mysticism there.

> goal, up to you, I just can't agree. I would much rather be unhappy and
know
> the secrets of the universe than the reverse. Of course, I would much
rather
> be happy and know the secrets of the universe... But happiness alone is
not
> something I find worth seeking.

But knowing the secrets of the universe, as you intend it, is a highly
emotional experience. The secrets of the universe don't wait for you to
discover them, they are _already there_, the only gain in knowing them is
the emotional high and the appreciation of their beauty. You are not
comparing happiness vs knowledge here, but the kind of happiness that comes
from knowledge vs a happiness without informational content.

mq