RE: ESSAY: 'Debunking Hippy-Dippy moral philosophy'

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Thu Jun 17 2004 - 16:47:39 MDT

I think the problem here, Marc, is that we cannot be certain that what you
term "conscious belief" is not the result of subconscious forces (pace
Libet, Gazzaniga and others). The causal chain may work exactly opposite
from what you described: it may be unconscious belief feeding-back into the
conscious mind.

Determining which (if either) of these is the case is a question for
cognitive psychology. I don't think we can philosophize our way to the
answer.

Regards,
Michael LaTorra