META: Posting resumes tomorrow

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Fri Jun 11 2004 - 09:26:12 MDT

Posting will resume tomorrow.

I've looked over previous posts on SL4, and my main reaction is "What the
hell happened?" and "Let's never do that again." Too much anger and
bitterness. It looks to me like events triggered a failure of public order
on the SL4 mailing list, a breakdown of the social compact. I had no idea
that was going to happen, and it illustrates the difficulty of predicting
the future even in simple matters; too many unintended consequences.

For the remainder of June, I'd like to ask that we all make an exception to
the usual SL4 list rules and deliberately try to be polite to one another
and avoid stepping on toes. Afterward, things can go back to normal. I
realize the unusualness of this request, but I fear the SL4 social compact
may have been damaged, and I think this will help repair it.