Re: the practical implications of arrogance

From: David Cake (dave@difference.com.au)
Date: Wed Jun 02 2004 - 21:03:15 MDT

>I think you're flat wrong. Arrogance and humility are not
>opposites. They are separate human capacities.

        Forgive me for appealing to the prosaic authority of a
dictionary, but a few seconds with dictionary.com give me
        humility - The quality or condition of being humble.
and
        humble -
        1. Marked by meekness or modesty in behavior, attitude, or
spirit; not arrogant or prideful.

        This, in asserting that arrogance and humility are opposites,
I would conclude Phillip is using the words as they are generally
understood, while Eli's useage tends towards redefinition in the
cause of his argument.
        Regards
                David