Re: FAI: Collective Volition

From: Eliezer Yudkowsky (sentience@pobox.com)
Date: Mon May 31 2004 - 14:25:15 MDT

Metaqualia wrote:

> posted on wiki too
>
> 1. Do you see "elimation of negative qualia in a way that does not directly
> conflict with personal freedom" as a possible attractor for collective
> volition? Do you see it as a probable attractor?

No.

> If not why (specifically)?

(Complete silence.)

> 2. How well does the AI need to predict the future in order for all of this
> to work?

See PAQ 5.

> 3. Won't the amount of machine intelligence required to wipe out humanity
> arrive much earlier than the amount of intelligence required to accurately
> simulate entire countries filled with people and other smaller AIs? What is
> your plan for this interval of time?

This is not an issue of computing power. Any FAI, any UFAI, that passes
the threshold of recursive self-improvement, can easily obtain enough
computing power to do either. It is just a question of whether an FAI or a
UFAI comes first.

> 4. FAI initially not programmed to count animals inside its definition of
> collective. However we would like to be people who value all forms of life
> and if we knew better we'd know that they are sentient to a certain extent
> THEREFORE should the FAI give a replicator to each household and forbid
> killing of animals, even if we were opposed to it? (I think so, but just to
> check with you)

This sounds like speculation about outcomes to me. Have you ever donated
to SIAI?