RE: Consciousness and falsifiability

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Fri May 28 2004 - 12:08:20 MDT

> >I don't think that "whether consciousness really exists" is a
> >scientific question, I think it's a philosophical question.
>
> I think so too, it's not scientific, that's why I said
> consciousness theories you can neither prove nor disprove are
> a dime a dozen. We just have to take it as an axiom that if
> something is intelligent then it's conscious.

I'm not sure. That's a good rule of thumb for humans rightnow, but in
future there may be highly "intelligent" systems (in some senses of the
word "intelligence") that both claim and appear not to be conscious. I
guess that the current notion of "intelligence" is too coarse to deal
with the variety of "intelligent" systems that are going to appear in
the future.

-- Ben G