RE: Economic Growth Given Machine Intelligence

From: mike99 (mike99@lascruces.com)
Date: Thu May 13 2004 - 11:53:02 MDT

Rafal,
Your quotations and analysis add much value to this discussion. Thanks.

You are correct that non-earned income (i.e., income derived from dividends, interest and rent) could potentially replace wages and lead to general wealth for every human. Whether this will happen or not is a question that does not have a technological answer, or even a necessary economic one (in the sense that the market is guaranteed to deliver it), but is a social-political question.

I quote the last portion of your message on this point, with my emphasis (in the form of **) added to the very last sentence:

But would we want that type of political stability? Cybernetic feudalism, in which the remnant of non-uploaded humanity lived on the sufferance of their uploaded overlords, is precisely the scary scenario that the opponents of the transhumanist progress we want are continually throwing in our faces. Please note that I do not find any fault in your analysis, but only in the desirability of its results. And I don't believe that these particular results are inevitable (and hope you agree). Our task, as I see it, is to ensure that the human family (broadly defined, including all posthumans) allows diversification and even some degree of social stratification (which is inevitable in any case) but without regressing into the ancient social forms in which the lower social strata were practically enslaved by the upper ones.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99@lascruces.com
mlatorra@nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

Member:
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org
World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org