Re: Forbidden Planet

From: entropy@farviolet.com
Date: Mon May 10 2004 - 09:12:40 MDT

On Mon, 10 May 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Mikko Särelä wrote:

> Still one should remember that Stanford is just a one experiment with one
> kind of population. More tests of the kind would be required to find out,
> if the results hold for all kinds of population schemes. In addition this
> does not take into account the possibility that the game theoretic
> structure of a prison might create incentives toward such behavior - which
> if true will undermine Keith's thesis. It also does not take into account
> the possibility that these things arise from the social ideas in our
> culture (combined with the incentive structure).

I'm quite certain the urge for dominance in humans as it is in many other
animals is deeply built in. On the other hand it doesn't always have to
come out in an evil way. In the leather scene it generally comes out in
an ethical way. If anything I think if it was less repressed in its
consentual form we might see less true uglyness. There is a tendency in
humans to try to just clamp the lid on our animal nature, when its often
much better to redirect it a bit.

On the otherhand I don't know what this says about AI, it will not have
the same intrinsic brain structures evolution has given us. However this
means it may also lack sufficient commonality with humans to experience
sympathy for what we call suffering.