Re: Forbidden Planet

From: Keith Henson (hkhenson@rogers.com)
Date: Tue May 11 2004 - 23:14:54 MDT

At 09:43 AM 10/05/04 +0300, Mikko Särelä wrote:

snip

>Still one should remember that Stanford is just a one experiment with one
>kind of population. More tests of the kind would be required to find out,

You should read the URL http://www.prisonexp.org/ I was called off after
only six days of the two weeks run time. The result were such that for
ethical reasons it could never be done again, any more than Stanley
Milgram's experiments could be duplicated.

>if the results hold for all kinds of population schemes. In addition this
>does not take into account the possibility that the game theoretic
>structure of a prison might create incentives toward such behavior - which
>if true will undermine Keith's thesis.

Possibly, but there is one heck of a lot of evidence that humans can be and
often are vicious to captives. My efforts are directed to understanding why.

>It also does not take into account
>the possibility that these things arise from the social ideas in our
>culture (combined with the incentive structure).

Possible of course. Not very likely if the origin is in the stone age.

>This of course does not mean that we should not be careful when creating
>an AI, be it uploaded person or a creation. It does not mean that we
>should not look into the incentive structures that we create for the super
>AI to come.

The problem is that other psychological modes, the ones involved in war,
suppress rational thinking in people. An irrational AI is not something to
think about before bedtime. :-)

Keith Henson