Re: Productivity and unemployment

From: Philip Sutton (Philip.Sutton@green-innovations.asn.au)
Date: Thu Apr 15 2004 - 09:37:56 MDT

Hi Dani,

> Our present social structure comes from the fact that everyone is
> better off if people specialize in one task each, then trade for the
> other stuff they need. But if productivity gets high enough, then small
> groups or individuals can be productive enough to live decently without
> external trade. In that case you don't need a conventional job.

Interesting idea. Seems to me it shifts the issue from obtaining income
year-by-year to getting the capital injection to set up in (relative) self--
sufficiency mode. Like the back to the landers - they have to have
some land (and tools). Or will there be some philanthropic set up
(private or government) that capitalises people's efforts?? Why should
such a set up emerge?

Cheers, Philip