RE: I'm making my move! A new AGI Project is born

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Sun Apr 04 2004 - 09:11:49 MDT

Hi Marc,

I have some comments about AGI and mathematical reasoning, and also
about fundraising strategy for your project.

About AGI and mathematical reasoning...

I have long been interested in using the Mizar corpus (www.mizar.org) as
a resource for helping teach AGI's mathematics.

Mizar is a knowledge base that consists of a large amount of
mathematical knowledge, encoded in a purely formal language. (Comparing
Mizar articles with typical mathematics research papers is very
instructive in terms of how *informal* typical mathematical discourse
is.)

However, the formal language of Mizar is large and complicated; a first
step would be merely to translate Mizar into a simpler formal language,
such as some kind of variant of predicate calculus. (Note: My own AI
system, Novamente, does not use predicate calculus or anything terribly
similar, but, predicate calculus is commonly understood, and it's simple
enough that converting predicate calculus into Novamente node-and-link
structures or pretty much anything else isn't a big trick.)

The purpose of translating Mizar into a simpler formalism is that one
can then feed Mizar -- this vast corpus of mathematical reasoning --
into one's AI system, and allow one's AI system to learn how
mathematical reasoning has been done in many past cases. The main
point isn't the *theorems* per se, it's the *proof patterns*, both
low-level and abstract.

At any rate, this is my best bet regarding how to get an AI system to do
mathematics really well.

The alternative to a Mizar-based approach, in my opinion, is to begin
not with mathematics but with *natural language processing*, so that the
AI system can be taught mathematics by humans.

Without Mizar (or something similar) or NLP, you're asking an AI system
to learn mathematics by all by itself, and that's very very hard. By
"learn mathematics" here, I mean "learn the subtle patterns of
demonstration and hypothesis that characterize creative mathematical
thinking".

Now, about fundraising.

My guess is that you'll have a better chance at raising the funds you
want if you can first demonstrate some notable success at a simpler
mathematical theorem-proving task. The Riemann Hypothesis is a big
goal, obviously.

The current state of mathematical theorem-provers is not very
impressive, so if you have a genuinely innovative and high-quality AGI
design with a theorem-proving orientation, it shouldn't be sooooo hard
to beat the state of the art. Current theorem-provers really only
perform adequately when given continual human guidance regarding the
choice of which "proof path" to take.

In the Mizar-based approach, mentioned above, it would probably be
fairly simple to make unprecedented progress in mathematical
theorem-proving just by loading Mizar into a reasonably robust
AGI-oriented architecture and letting it lern some proof-patterns, and
setting it loose to prove theorems in a relatively compactly
formalizable domain like set theory or topology.

Without demonstrable preliminary results, my guess is that in order to
raise funding you'll need to get someone with some record of success in
automated theorem-proving involved. Unfortunately, everyone I know in
that community is rather conservative in orientation and would be
unlikely to get involved in a project they viewed as highly speculative.
But perhaps my constacts are not representative of that community!

Best of luck!
Ben Goertzel

http://au.movies.yahoo.com