Re: Singularity Institute volunteer meeting this Sunday @ 7 PM EST

From: Tommy McCabe (rocketjet314@yahoo.com)
Date: Thu Mar 25 2004 - 09:04:17 MST

--- Paul Hughes <psiphius@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- Tommy McCabe <rocketjet314@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > 1. Make SIAI's website more shocking and
> > user-friendly
> > to encourage visitors
>
> On the surface, this appears to be an oxymoron. If
> you make it too shocking, people are going to get
> the
> wrong idea, and like the potential of
> nanotechnology,
> you could get a backlash like we've seen with GM
> crops, and Chrichton's Prey. How we present the
> challenge/threat/promise of SAI is aboslutely
> paramount.

Agreed. But most people today, when reading something,
if it isn't clear in the first few sentences that this
is something worth listening to, will just go "Oh,
that's nice" and forget about it. But on the other
hand, if it's too shocking, people will dismiss it as
the ravings of a lunatic (I've found a lot of times
that logical thinking is inversely proprtional to
state of shock). So there has to be a balance.