Re: The Fundamental Theorem of Morality

From: Marc Geddes (marc_geddes@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: Mon Mar 01 2004 - 23:17:50 MST

 --- Metaqualia <metaqualia@mynichi.com> wrote: > >

> Maybe we use the word differently, but morality to
> me is all about what
> happens to others, regardless of what happens to
> you, it's about averaging
> out suffering rather than sticking it to the least
> powerful. So I don't
> believe such thing as a personal morality can ever
> exist.
> Morality is universal, or it's not morality, just a
> goal system.

Metaqualia, I DEFINED 'a morality' to simply mean 'a
goal system'. So I was using a very general
definition.

By my definition, there can be both a Universal
Morality and a Personal Morality. I agree with what
you say about a Universal Morality.

> I further cannot agree 100% that any rational being
> will come to the same
> definition of morality.
> An AI follows a goal system. if its goal system and
> architecture do not
> allow it to create additional supergoals it will
> keep doing what it was told
> to, getting smarter and smarter (gathering more
> information) but never
> trying to do anything else than it was originally
> created to do.

I defined a morality to simply mean 'a goal system'.
Then I said: 'Any sentient being capable of reasoning
about morality will come to the same definition of
Universal Morality'.

An AI with a goal system and architecture which did
not allow additional goals, is not, by definition, an
AI capable of reasoning about morality.

=====
Please visit my web-site at: http://www.prometheuscrack.com

http://au.movies.yahoo.com