RE: Positive Transcension 2

From: Ben Goertzel (ben@goertzel.org)
Date: Tue Feb 24 2004 - 11:01:37 MST

Of all the opposition to cryonics in the world today, that which is due to
the economics of the embalming and funeral-parlor industry is really a
vanishingly small percentage. The opposition is primarily based on
religious and philosophical concerns.

Thus, my statement may have been a mild overstatement, but was true in
essence.

Similarly, I think, it is likely for people to react against
techno-Transcendence for purely religious and philosophical reasons, quite
apart from any economic concerns.

Why are we not allowed to cryonically preserve our *living bodies* today?
Because the law considers it suicide.

Similarly, if I want to upload my living brain into a computer so as to
achieve what I may (depending on the details of course) consider a superior
existence, I won't be allowed to by current (religiously motivated) laws; it
will be considered as suicide which is illegal.

As for the populace's reaction to a benevolent AI, I imagine it will depend
a great deal upon the context at the time.

-- Ben G